Thursday, September 30, 2010

When I found you... Chapter 22(Jaevon Fanfic)

Devon was stuck in the middle of a traffic jam worsened by the heavy downpour of the rain. She cursed and started honking the horns of an apple green mini-cooper, which was a gift from her grandmother.

Devon looked at her phone again and got irritated even more. She threw it carelessly on the dashboard when there was still no signal.

Damn, she cursed under her breath. James would have called a dozen times by now and she could almost imagine him worried sick, frantically calling her.

Devon looked up at the dark sky, thinking the rain would take a while before it will stop. The cars before her started moving. One block ahead, she took a left turn away from the traffic of the highway and got home safely.

Carrying with her the light traveling bag, she ran the remaining steps towards the door of her two-storey cottage-style house. She shook off the raindrops from her hair and rummaged through her bag for the key. She went inside and immediately checked her voice mail if there’s any message from James.

Oh… there’s none. Maybe he’s busy, she thought, a little disappointed.

I’ll just call him later.

She went upstairs and headed directly to her bedroom. She put her things beside her bed and went to the bathroom.

After a refreshing shower, she decided to leave the unpacking of her luggage later as exhaustion from the tiring journey finally seeped through- and she fell asleep almost instantly.

The shrill sound of a doorbell woke her up with a start. She looked at her bedside clock to find that she has been asleep for an hour.

Wondering who could it be, she went down to answer the door and found a harassed-looking FedEx delivery man. She could see that the heavy rain still hasn’t stopped. She accepted the package, curious of what’s inside and found out that it was from James. Thanking the delivery man, she hurriedly closed the door and went to sit at a comfy sofa in her cozy living room. As she opened the package a note fell.

Devon,

I want you to use this. I’ve already had it unlocked and it’s ready for your perusal.

I’ve already put all the important numbers on speed dial. Just press one for my cellphone number, and use face time whenever I call. Press two for my home number in Australia. Press three for my condo number in the Philippines. Press four for my office number in Australia. Press five for my office number in the Philippines. Oh, and then press six for emergency.

By the way, I’ve stored my parents’ number. They want to talk to you. You can call them anytime you want. I’ve already wired your house with Wi-Fi.

P.S. any moment now, I’m gonna call. Answer it immediately. Love you.

Jaime

How am I gonna remember all of that?! Devon thought exasperatedly.

She opened the box and saw another note. It’s an instruction on how to use face time. She took the Apple 4G iPhone and saw 42 missed calls. She was about to dial one when the phone rang. She frantically answered the phone while following the instructions James wrote.

She then saw the face of the man she missed… so much. She smiled upon seeing him. But her smile faltered when she saw the ominous look on James’ handsome face.

“What took you so long? Didn’t you understand my instructions? I specifically wrote there that I would be calling and you must answer it immediately!”

“Well, I just did! For your information, I just received the phone. The delivery was delayed due to the storm. It’s been raining here since last night!”

Embarrassed silence came on James’ side.

“Oh… well, they’re not good at delivering as they’ve claimed! They’re 30 minutes late. In that case, I better sue them for giving me the wrong information!”

Devon couldn’t help herself but laugh out loud.

“Why are you laughing?”

“Because you’re so adorable when you’re angry… your ears turn red, the way your eyebrows meet looks cute and the crinkling of your nose makes me long to pinch it and your cheeks get all red while your eyes darken just like the way it does when you kiss me.”

Devon smiled at him teasingly. James was caught off guard that he was trying his damnedest not to smile at the compliment.

James cleared his throat and changed the topic.

“Oh by the way, I’ll be coming home tomorrow. I’ll call you.”

“What? No! There’s a typhoon coming. It’s dangerous for you to fly in this weather.”

“No, I’ll be there.”

Devon sighed knowing how stubborn James is once he makes a decision.

“Before I forget, why did you buy me this phone? I already have my blackberry.”

“The hell with blackberry. Throw it. I don’t care. Use the phone I gave you from now on.”

“What?! I-…” Devon started to protest but was cut off by James.

“No more discussion about this. You owe me this much. You always made me worry every time you missed to answer my call. And also I could get to see your face every time I want to when I want to.”

Devon, thinking that there’s no way she could win this argument, just opened another topic.

“What is this emergency number, by the way? The police station?”

“No, of course not! They’re not reliable. It’s the number for your personal bodyguard from our security team of the company. Bruce has been with us for 25 years. He’s very good at his job. He was once my bodyguard when I was a kid so he’s like an uncle to me. He could be your bodyguard, chauffeur or personal assistant. Whatever you want.”

“Why should I need a bodyguard? I can take care of myself. I’ve been taking care of myself and my baby sister since my parents died. I don’t need a bodyguard.”

“Well that was before. We don’t know what will happen in the future and I can’t be with you every day.”

“And what’s with the chauffeur and personal assistant? I can drive and manage on my own, James.”

“Devon, I’m aware of your capabilities. I know you’re responsible, competent and smart. I know you can take care of yourself. But I am here now…to protect you and to take care of you. I want to give you the best of things in life. I want you to be happy. So just let me, okay?”

Devon sighed and conceded for she knew she can’t win this argument.

They talked for almost an hour about work, developments with the renovation of the villa, the things that occupied their time and how much they miss each other.

The yellow rays of the sun are streaming through the windows of a well-furnished office. James was shoving papers in his briefcase when his temporary secretary came in and announced that a Mr. Ryan Bang wants to see him. Wondering why Ryan was there, he closed his briefcase and told his secretary to let him come in.

“Hey, James!” Ryan greeted.

“What are you doing here?”

“Am I not welcome here?”

“That’s not what I meant. I was just surprised.”

“I’m just dropping by. I just came from a meeting with a client.”

“Oh, I see. How’s the new business going?”

“Oh, it’s going well. No problems as of the moment. Oh anyway, congratulations. Devon told me you’re together now.”Ryan said smiling and seated himself in one of the chairs.

“Oh, thanks.” James said, grinning broadly.

Ryan’s face turned serious and looked at James’ intently.

“You take care of her, dude. She’s a very nice girl. If you ever make her cry, I will make you pay.”

James was astounded. Ryan grinned at him.

“Just take care of her. She’s a special girl so make her happy.”

“Of course, I will.” James said grinning.

Ryan stood up and walked over to James. He extended his hand and James took it, clasping it tightly, sealing a promise made by two men who both love the same woman.

The dark sky, heavy rains and howling winds heightened the anxiety of a woman who’s pacing back and forth in her living room, keeping track of the time, jumping everytime she heard a sound of a car, clutching the phone close to her chest. Devon has been contacting James for 3 hours, but there’s still no news about him.

He should be here by now.

What if something happened to him?

Oh God no. Oh please no… James, where are you? Devon thought anxiously.

He’s such a hard-headed man!

I ought to throttle him!

When he comes back, I’m going to wring his neck for putting me through such worry!

Oh… please be safe… please, Jaime. Devon thought pleadingly and closed her eyes.

A few minutes later, her blackberry phone rang. She hurriedly took the phone and saw that it was her boss.

“Hello, Ms. Gutierrez. I have good news! There’s a new client who wants your service. And he’s paying a very high price for your designs.” Her boss said on the other line, sounding so enthusiastic.

“What? I… that’s good news, but, I’m still not done with my last project, sir.”

“It’s alright. He will need you after a month. He has some things to finish. You’re my lucky charm! You’ve been bringing in big clients, I’m very thankful.”

“I see. Thank you, sir.”

“Well, I just thought I’d inform you ahead of time. I’ll give you all the details two weeks before the scheduled meeting with the client.”

“Okay, sir.”

The call ended and still Devon can’t seem to ease the worry. She can’t find any comfort from the good news. Her mind is still on James’ whereabouts. She was sitting on the edge of the settee, when the doorbell rang, and jumped at the sound. She ran towards the door and immediately opened it.

10 comments:

  1. @Marisa
    eto na next chapter...

    ok ka lang ba? sabi ng cousin ko nagdrama ka daw sa pex? sana ok ka lang.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. YEHEY!! AKALA KO DI MO PA IPOPOST SA BLOG MO..

    CHOKS NA KO NGAYON, KANINA MEDYO HINDI. PERO DONT WORRY ABOUT ME JO! :)
    SI PUPU NAG BBR SA THREAD???HEHE


    MAGCOCOMMENT NA KO SA FF MO HA...
    IPHONE 4G FTW!!HAHA!

    AT ISANG PAMBITIN NA ENDING! HINDI KO ALAM ANO IEXPECT!!
    PARANG GANITO RIN YUNG SA LAST CHAPTERS MO NA AKALA KO NAGKISS NA. PERO HINDI PALA! NGAYON NAMAN EH SINO KAYA ANG SUMALUBONG KAY DEVON SA DOOR??
    I REALLY HOPE ITS JAMES!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hope good news c james sa pgbalik nya kay devon kac halos lng ng ff na.aksidente sya tapos na amnesia kawawa nmn c devon!!!!? plzz?

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow.kakabitin toh ah...waaa...!

    ReplyDelete
  5. eeeewww. ang panget ng fanfic na to.
    kinopya mo lang to.
    hindi pa sinali sina ann at tricia.
    pinapakita mo lang na may galit ka sa kanila.
    eeeww talaga.

    ReplyDelete
  6. wqahahha thum-up ako may basher na galing galing palapakan:-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. infairness sa basher mo binabasa niya ang FF mo.. kasi alam niya ang story.. hahaha... --mole

    ReplyDelete
  8. haha, sayang nman ang BLACKBERRY..

    haha, iPhone 4G ftw!!

    ******

    ReplyDelete
  9. bawal ang bashers dito..

    kainis, panira ng mood..

    bkit anonymous?.
    takot mgpakilala?

    ha!

    ReplyDelete