Wednesday, September 15, 2010

When I found you... Chapter 14(Jaevon Fanfic)

Sunlight streamed in through the open windows and a breeze drifted through the room. The irate ringing of her phone slowly penetrated Devon’s slumber. Still half-asleep she rolled over unto her stomach, burying her face into the pillow. She felt sluggish and dull as if she hasn’t slept at all. Her mind hovered aimlessly and then it suddenly began to clear. The terrible details of last night came back in painful clarity and she clenched her fist on her bed cover, remembering the way James had cruelly accused her of such vile things.

That monster! Devon thought furiously.

I thought we’re getting along just fine for the past days.

He’s being so sweet and thoughtful and all of a sudden he acted as if I’ve committed a grave crime.

What did he call me? A scheming ambitious slut! Well, he’s a complete jerk… a foolish, egotistical, unreasonable jerk!

She then realized that her phone has been ringing persistently. James! She dreadfully reached for her phone and was relieved to discover that it was just Ivan calling her.

“Hello.” Devon answered mollified.

“Devon, it’s Ivan. I’m just wondering if you’re free for lunch today,” Ivan said on the other line. “I know you must be busy packing but… I have something important to ask you.”

“Can’t you just ask me on the phone?” Devon replied wondering what it could be that is so important.

“I guess it’s better to ask you in person. Besides, I want to thank you personally for your help. Yen really loved the earrings you helped me choose for her.”

“That was nothing. I’m just glad that it worked out well for the both of you,” Devon said with a touch of a smile in her voice. “So, where will you want to meet?”

“I’ll just pick you at around eleven, see you then.” Ivan said.

After they said their goodbyes, Devon flung the bed covers aside, and headed for the shower. She decided that she would not spare a thought and linger on her feelings towards him since after what happened between them, for sure James would not contact her again. And suddenly it hit her. The contract!

Damn! How could I forget about the contract?

I’ll still meet that hideous man, Devon groaned, and pushed the thought aside.

She took a cold a shower and made a list for the things she needs for her trip to Boracay.

It was almost eleven when she finished packing. She then dressed for the upcoming luncheon with Ivan and headed downstairs to wait for him.

At exactly eleven, the doorbell rang. Devon peered through the windows and saw that it was Ivan. She grabbed her bag and went to open the door.

“Oh, you’re on time.” Devon said with a smile.

“Everything’s ready?”

“Yep, let’s go.”

Ivan took her to Portobello de Vivere restaurant. It is an Italian restaurant wherein it’s famous for their pasta. They were ushered by the maitre d’ to the table near the windows.

Devon noticed the conviviality of the atmosphere with the decorative items on the walls, dark wooden floors contrasted with elegant tablecloths, backlit shelves of wine that provide sleek seating arrangements with mirrors and antique fixtures.

“Do you like it?” Ivan asked, watching Devon looking around.

“Yep, it’s kind of elegant but cozy at the same time,” Devon commented. “You know what… since I’ve met you and your friends… I’ve been eating more often in fancy restaurants.” She said.

Ivan chuckled. “Well, get used to it,” he said with a teasing smile. “We’ll be meeting each other more often from now on.” He said.

Ivan ordered for the both of them.

He’s just like James, ordering too much food, Devon noted with a sigh.

They enjoyed each other’s company, talking about anything that would come in mind.

They were having their coffee when Ivan broached the subject of James.

“I’ve known James since we were eight. Both our grandfathers are business associates as well as best of friends. He’s like a brother to me.” Ivan said and took a sip of his coffee. He looked at Devon intently and watched her reactions closely.

“I’ve never seen him drunk himself to stupor like last night.” He continued.

Devon, who was about to take a sip of her coffee, froze midway and looked at him inquiringly.

“Yes, he was even crying and mumbling about something he had lost,” he said, looking searchingly at her. “He mentioned your name.”

Awkward silence filled the air. Devon fidgeted and can’t seem to look at Ivan in the eye. She felt guilty.

Why the hell am I getting guilty?

It was not my fault! I was not the one who raved like a lunatic, she thought furiously.

Ivan saw the different emotions play across her face.

“Did something happen between the two of you? You were the last one that James talked to.”

Devon, who was keeping her anger at bay, burst forth in indignant fury upon hearing a hint of accusation in his voice.

“It’s not my fault. He was the one who started insulting me!” Devon burst out.

“He insulted you?”

“YES! He said I’m a scheming, ambitious slut who is out selling my favors to you and Ryan!”She finished heatedly.

Ivan was so shocked that James could say such things to Devon.

“There must be a misunderstanding. James can’t possibly say it to you and mean it even though how mistrustful he is with regards to women.” Ivan tried to explain.

Devon’s anger was overpowered by curiosity.

“What do you mean?”

Ivan narrated every single detail of what happened 6 years ago…

James’ past…

James was driving his car from the airport and stopped upon seeing the red light. He was singing along the music Banana Pancakes by Jack Johnson when he saw a familiar lady crossing the street. It was his fiancée, Mikaela.

Where is she going? What is she doing in this neighborhood? James thought.

He called his fiancée through the phone. It rang several times before his fiancée answered it.

“Hey babe, I missed you. Where are you?”

“I missed you too, babe. I’m at home, watching T.V.”

“Oh… I see. I’ll be home tonight. I have some business to attend to first.”

“Alright, babe. I’ll be here waiting for you.”

James was confused on why she had lied about her whereabouts. So, he decided to follow her. He parked his car and then went out to follow her. He saw her enter one of the buildings and followed her straight to the stairs. They were now on the fourth floor when she stopped at the far end of the corridor and knocked on the door. A man opened the door and kissed Mikaela on the lips passionately. James can’t believe what he saw.

“Honeybunch stop it. Someone might see us.” She said giggling and pushed the man inside the room. James walked to the door silently and noticed it stood ajar. He heard their conversation inside.

“Do you have some money? I’m running out of it.” The man said.

“But honey, I’ve already given you three days ago. I don’t have any right now.”

“What? I thought he’s lavishing you with jewelries and money.”

James couldn’t take anymore of the conversation he was hearing and walked away from the room… away from his fiancée.

“So, Mikaela went home to their condo and saw all her things already packed. James, looking murderous, gave her the ultimatum. He would put her to jail if she won’t return every single thing he had given to her.”

Devon was reeling with anger a while ago, sympathized on James’ tragic past.

“How could she do that to him?”

“I know. That’s what made him so mistrustful of women. But lately, it amazes me how he opened up to you. I noticed James is different when he’s with you. He smiles a lot more… just like the old James I know. He must really like you.”

“What? You got to be kidding me,” She scoffed. “He probably loathes me. I didn’t deny his accusations to me.”

“No, really. He likes you a lot. He must have said those things out of jealousy,” He said and took another sip of his coffee. “But you know what… I think he’s already head over heels in love with you.” Ivan said with a suggestive smile.

Devon was looking through the windows, looking at the vast, blue skies. She was flying on a first class ticket for Boracay. The events of James’ past kept playing on her mind. She feels ambiguous towards James. She can’t decide on how to deal with him, especially after all what Ivan said about James’ feelings towards her. Whenever she remembered the vicious things Mikaela did to James, her protective side arise in her. She longed to comfort and hold him… and tell him…

Tell him what?

Shut up, Devon. You’re making a fool of yourself.

Get a hold of yourself. He doesn’t like you… let alone love you, Devon thought gruffly.

She felt anxious as she realized that in just a few hours they will meet again.

How am I going to treat him?

Of course just like a boss, idiot. Nothing more, nothing less. She thought.

She arrived at the hotel she had booked a week ago. It was nearer to the villa so that she can easily access and supervise the workings at the villa. She unpacked her things and took a shower. She then readied herself to face… her boss. She went downstairs and walked her way to the villa. Every step she took is making her heart beat so fast. She knew that James is waiting there. It was what they have planned a week ago.

She reached the summer house and went to knock on the door. A man opened it.

Her eyes went round and gasped.

No comments:

Post a Comment